Fresh Bread From the Bread Guy

Fresh Bread From the Bread Guy
Find us at our new location on Madero at Constitucion, one block north of the Parque VelascoOpen daily 8-230 except Sunday

Friday, November 28, 2008

Family restaurant Paisa

Two restaurants I've been watching and not going to for a while now. Both of them on Aquiles Serdan between Bravo and Allende.

The first one called itself jarrock cafe, a Spanish spelling of Hard Rock Cafe. We called it the paintbrush restaurant because the entrance was decorated with kitch including used brushes strung on a line with bright paint still coating the bristles. Never did get around to exploring the pace and now it is too late. It has become a still kitchy art and gift gallery.

The other restaurant in the block between Rosales and Allende is the restaurante familiar Paisa. They must be doing something right, because the restaurant does not look like it did when I first noticed it over a year ago.

The sign announcing the fact that one can eat here is now professionally painted instead of the hand lettered whiteboard. Vines now completely cover the mesh delineating the property, making for a lush looking and cozy dining space. The low palapa roof has been braced in places where it used to sag and the beer distributor has favored them with their best silkscreened white resin tables.

When I walked in, a woman in jeans and a denim shirt embroidered with the restaurant logo greeted me. Told her "just one today" and she asked me if the one was to be a pacifico or corona.

The dining area is raked sand, twelve tables under the palapa roof, two televisions and an ice machine. Autographed soccer jerseys on hangars adorned the poles supporting the roof. The kitchen was semi out of sight. Another person dressed similarly to my server slouched at the table closest to the telly.

The menu, laminated trifold, started with breakfasts and lunches. Eggs, french toast, molletes (beans and cheese plus guacamole sometimes on a split hard roll) and tenderloin tips prepared a number of ways.

There were also steaks, fish, seafood including aguachiles and campechana. Oh, and of course, beer. Plus limonada and refrescos, malteados and coffee. The tabletop setting included five different bottles of salsa--two hot, one for fish, one worsestershire sauce and one more but can't remember.

After I ordered my filete de res en salsa albaƱil and a limonada I settled back to watch the movie on tv. While waiting, I munched on some totopos and roasted tomato salsa. Salsa good, totopos straight out of the bag. The beef was relatively tender and bathed in a sauce that included bacon and strips of serrano chiles. Some limes to squeeze over the plate would have been nice.

Speaking of plates, these were high fired china plates. Not fancy but not the dreaded melamine. The tortilla basket had flour and corn/flour tortillas.

Decent meal, probably more fun with a group rather than a single diner, glad I finally stopped in.

Paisa, on Serdan between Rosales and Allende. Breakfast and lunch.

I invite you to click on the title for someone's definition of the word paisa. I had nothing to do with it.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico
Before gaining control of my life, I created pastries for some cool places in California: San Ysidro Ranch in Montecito, Brix Restaurant in Napa and The Lodge in Sonoma. Now I am the chef/owner of Pan D' Les bakery in La Paz. My personal favorite is the Multigrano loaf, full of crunchy seeds and a nice chewy crust.