Fresh Bread From the Bread Guy

Fresh Bread From the Bread Guy
Find us at our new location on Madero at Constitucion, one block north of the Parque VelascoOpen daily 8-230 except Sunday

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ode to a flower


When arriving in or leaving La Paz via local bus the common point for all routes is at the bus station on Ocampo at G Prieto. If you are still hungry after your trip or want to fortify yourself before you travel and want other than street vendor offerings, one casts about for the bus stop restaurant.

In this case, restaurant Girasol fit the bill, being directly across the street from the bus station. I am not implying that the place has anything to do with the transportation hub, but nothing else can logically explain its reason for existence.

I've passed by many times but never had the luck of finding it open until last week. The painted hours of operation and the propaganda painted on the entrance wall indicate breakfast and lunch, open from 8 until 2. I arrived about 115 to find the door open.

The place itself is small with room for two tables plus a soda cooler(empty and warm), tv on the wall and the efficiency kitchen area. There was one person dining alone when I arrived who got up and carried her unfinished plate to the kitchen and greeted my by informing me mole or enchiladas were my only choices that day, daring me to stay and eat.

"Enchiladas please" in my best spanish to the cookserver. Looking around, I appreciated the loving care someone had taken to decorate the interior with the bright and welcoming sunflower.

Garlands of sunflowers lined the 3/4 wall creating a bathroom out of the tiny interior space, plus a sunflower calendar and a spray of flowere painted on the wall. A plastic sunflower placemat was brought over from a rack over the sink and placed in front of me along with sopa de fideos and a plastic pitcher of pink agua, a glass and knife and fork rolled in a napkin. Next came the roasted tomato salsa plus a lime wedge and a spoon for my soup.

Three warm tortillas delicately scented with detergent from the dishtowel tortilla cozy completed the first course.

The chicken enchiladas (three pulled chicken tacos covered with an enchilada sauce and rayed with crema) and rice with peas came on a brown melmac platter. I declined the dessert, paid the 40 pesos for the comida corrida, thanked the lady and allowed her to finish her interrupted meal in peace.

Girasol on Ocampo at Prieto across from the downtown bus terminal. Hours vary.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico
Before gaining control of my life, I created pastries for some cool places in California: San Ysidro Ranch in Montecito, Brix Restaurant in Napa and The Lodge in Sonoma. Now I am the chef/owner of Pan D' Les bakery in La Paz. My personal favorite is the Multigrano loaf, full of crunchy seeds and a nice chewy crust.